A smart structure is a versatile system and combination of sensing, controlling and actuation steps which is like an elemental analogue of human body. Each smart materials acts as unit cells for smart structures in which each cell performs both sensing and actuation functions. It has capability to check for more than one optimum condition and exhibit its function. Smart Structures resist natural calamities and satisfies all the technological demands.
Based on the level of sophistication, the smart structures are further classified as
(a) Sensory Structures: These structures possess sensors that enable the
determination or monitoring of system states/ characteristics.
(b) Adaptive Structures: These structures possess actuators that enable the
alteration of system states or characteristics in a controlled manner.
(c) Controlled Structures: These result from the intersection of the sensory and
the adaptive structures. These possess both sensors and actuators integrated in
feedback architecture for the purpose of controlling the system states or
(d) Active Structures: These structures possess both sensors and actuators that are
highly integrated into the structure and exhibit structural functionality in
addition to control functionality.
(e) Intelligent Structures: These structures are basically active structures
possessing highly integrated control logic and electronics that provides the
cognitive element of a distributed or hierarchic control architecture.
- Material Structure Prediction
- Inorganic MicroStructures
- Composite Materials and Adaptive Structures
- Deformation of Layered Structures
- Structural Properties of Materials
- Structural Engineering and Ceramics
- Green Buildings
- Metals, Alloys and Composites
- Smart Design and Construction of Special Structures
- Data Acquisition and transmission
- Command and Control Units
- Action Devices
- Architectural Smart Materials
- Embedded Data Collectors (EDC)- Wireless Pile Monitors
- Vibration Control of structure – Piezoceramics